Cloud ERP software solves many common business challenges. Do you remember buying “software in a box”? Older software packages came with a site license that allowed you to download the software onto a set number of computers. It was impossible to access the system unless you were physically using that computer. If the computer failed, it might take your software and all its data down with it.
Cloud systems offer enhanced security, more features, and greater peace of mind. Here’s why you should consider moving to cloud ERP software.
What Is Cloud Software?
Software as a service (SaaS) models are now the norm, thanks to the internet. Through the internet, networks of computer systems, called the cloud, can provide software that helps many businesses simultaneously run their operations.
In the world of enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, cloud-based systems are rapidly becoming the norm. It is estimated that 75 percent of businesses around the world use some cloud software, and 13 percent of ERP systems implemented in the past four years have been cloud-based. While you can still purchase and use site-based ERP, cloud-based systems are now the norm.
Four Reasons to Move to Cloud-Based ERP
While there are many good reasons to move to cloud-based ERP systems, a few stand out as great reasons for businesses to consider switching to the cloud:
- Anywhere, anytime access through the internet: as long as you have an internet connection, you can access a cloud-based ERP system. This is an excellent feature for businesses with multiple locations and sales teams who frequently travel to customer locations.
- Enhanced scalability: Cloud-based ERP systems offer easier options to scale as your company grows. Instead of purchasing multiple software packages, one package can be updated to accommodate more people.
- Easier to update: Cloud software vendors update their systems in one place, which flows into your system. You don’t need to remember to update the software; it’s automatic. That also goes for upgrades and enhancements which are rolled out from the cloud vendor.
- Real-time analytics: Cloud systems allow data to flow seamlessly through the internet into the ERP system. This provides up-to-the-minute data and analytics. You can make decisions based on accurate and timely data instead of data that may be outdated.
Choosing the Right Cloud ERP Solution for Your Business
As with all software, there’s no “one size fits all” cloud-based ERP for your business. Depending on your business model and company size, you may need different solutions built into the ERP.
Here’s how to choose the best cloud ERP system for your business needs.
- Define business requirements. Define what you need your system to do and what you might like it to do. Make a list. Then, compare your list of business requirements to the systems under consideration.
- Evaluate the actual cost. Watch out for loss leader pricing. Some cloud ERP vendors use low initial pricing to lure you in, then hold data hostage for expensive renewals. Ask plenty of questions about what is included in the package, annual renewal fees, training costs, and other aspects of the system.
- Understand the full implementation plan, including training and data migration. Review potential implementation plans with your vendor and discuss training options. Also, review data migration plans and ensure the data from your current system can easily migrate into the new one. If it can’t, how will you address any challenges?
- Know the system’s security features. One great aspect of a cloud-based ERP system is the added layer of security they provide, but be sure to understand how your ERP vendor secures the data. What disaster recovery plans are in place? Many ERP vendors back data up frequently and have redundant data centers to ensure that if one goes offline or experiences a disaster, their customers’ data is secure.
Cloud ERP software offers many advantages for business owners. If it’s time to move to the cloud, it’s time to discuss your needs with Mindover Software. We provide cloud-based ERP solutions such as Sage 100 ERP, Acumatica, and other software to help your business thrive. For more information, contact us at or call 512-990-3994.