in: Company News, Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), Acumatica, Home Health Care, Accounting
Yes, you can use Acumatica as a QuickBooks replacement. Intuit QuickBooks is a popular small business accounting software package that offers both a desktop and cloud solution. Acumatica is an enterprise resource planning (ERP) system, meant for both accounting and finance and to manage operations and integrate with multiple third-party applications, including warehouse management solutions, field service software, e-commerce platforms, and much more to provide a robust software platform for small to mid-sized businesses.
QuickBooks Works for Some, But Not All, Industries
One aspect of QuickBooks that often limits its usefulness for deployment is that the off-the-shelf version is meant for the average small business. That means unique business models, such as home healthcare, may struggle to fit their businesses into the predefined categories in the system.
For example, home healthcare agency billing can be much more complex than the average small business service model. An attorney using QuickBooks to bill clients simply inputs hours and details on the services provided and sends the bill to one client. A home healthcare agency, on the other hand, may need to bill the insurance company, Medicare, and potentially the patient and/or their family. It’s a more complex situation that involves tracking medical insurance codes, multiple payers, hourly workers, supplies, and much more.
What Is ERP?
An ERP system offers much greater flexibility. As mentioned before, ERP stands for enterprise resource planning. Unlike accounting software, which tracks only the financial aspect of a business, an ERP system provides an integration of main business processes through one software interface. This helps streamline, coordinate, and integrate many areas, including accounting, finance, e-commerce, marketing, sales, operations, and more. With the addition of multiple third-party tools, other areas can also be integrated through the software, such as warehouse and inventory management, fixed asset management, and more.
Why would companies want ERP instead of a simple accounting program? ERP systems help companies analyze all areas of the business to improve efficiency and productivity. The information that can be obtained from an ERP is light-years ahead of the information that can be obtained from a single accounting solution.
With one system bringing together multiple points of information, various reports can be generated more easily. These reports take into consideration myriad factors, helping managers gain greater insights into their business areas than a single report.
Yes, you can continue to work with a separate accounting solution and download CSV files to upload into other programs to create reports. But an ERP system saves countless time and effort in this process and helps avoid mistakes such as manual typing errors, input errors, and more.
There comes a time in every business’ life when the typical out-of-the-box accounting software no longer meets its needs. When that time comes, consider switching from QuickBooks to Acumatica.
Why Choose Acumatica as a QuickBooks Replacement?
There are many reasons why Acumatica makes a good QuickBooks replacement, but here are our top seven.
- Acumatica is a true cloud ERP: Acumatica comes in two implementation types, on-site or cloud implementation. Its cloud version was built especially for the cloud, not just an adaptation of the on-premises software. While QuickBooks does come in both standard and cloud versions, even Intuit acknowledges that the cloud version isn’t optimal. It remains a system built for Microsoft-based systems and used on-premises.
- A complete ERP solution: QuickBooks offers comprehensive support for basic accounting functions, but ERP is so much more. An ERP system offers a robust, comprehensive system to manage multiple functions, not just accounting.
- Better flexibility with Acumatica: Acumatica can be customized more easily to the unique needs of an industry or business. The home healthcare agency business, for example, can customize its billing, inventory needs, and other aspects of the system to accommodate its unique structure. QuickBooks can be customized to some extent but not usually to the extent needed.
- Easier third-party application addition: QuickBooks integrates with a few systems, such as email, so you can email invoices to customers. Acumatica offers an astonishing array of third-party integrations through the Acumatica Marketplace. It’s openness to third party applications makes it a very popular ERP solution because it cuts down on the amount of custom coding many businesses need to implement it.
- Full export capabilities: QuickBooks allows for exports into Excel or CSV code, but that’s about it. It has its own proprietary database system. Acumatica, on the other hand, exports and works easily with many other systems.
- Flexible licensing options: Acumatica offers a flexible licensing option so you can pay annually or monthly, thus choosing your depreciation method.
- Enhanced reports: The reports from QuickBooks are limited to a handful available with the software. The rest must be custom programmed, or the data extracted and uploaded into Excel to create additional graphs and charts. Acumatica offers a comprehensive suite of enhanced reports that offers multiple views into the data beyond the accounting view.
Considerations When Making the Switch from QuickBooks to Acumatica
If we’ve convinced you to make the switch from QuickBooks to Acumatica, there are several considerations to keep in mind.
- An ERP implementation is more complex than setting up QuickBooks. You’ll need to put together a team that includes people from each department who will work with the system: accounting, finance, operations, marketing, and sales.
- Plan the data migration. Take the time to clean up your QuickBooks accounting data before moving it into Acumatica. Also, take the time to clean up any data from other systems that will be moving into Acumatica, too, such as customer addresses, vendor information, SKUs from inventory, and so on.
- Think about the reports you may need and set them up accordingly. Talk to your ERP vendor to learn what’s possible.
- Participate in all training sessions offered by your ERP consultant. Select a “super user” who will become the go-to resource for system help within your company. This person undergoes additional training to become your in-house expert on the software.
- Give yourself and your employees time to learn the system. Moving from QuickBooks to Acumatica is a big step up, and there will be more features (with the associated benefits!) to learn. Be patient. Once you do learn the system, you’ll never want to go back.
Acumatica Grows as Your Company Grows
Lastly, as your company grows, you may wonder if you’ll outgrow Acumatica the same way you outgrew QuickBooks. While it’s possible, it is unlikely you’ll outgrow Acumatica. Instead, Acumatica grows with your company. You can easily add more users, add information, run reports, and more.
Mindover Software is a software reseller with a broad range of accounting, ERP, finance, customer relationship management, and other software products, including Acumatica software. For more information about Acumatica or other software needs, please contact us or call 512-990-3994.